Re: live helper: possibility to generate virtual image

On 03/10/2011 10:13 AM, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> I am looking for a way to generate custom virtual images for debian.
> Though it is possible via debootstrap and scripting/modifications, live
> helper provides everything to so (hooks, includes etc..)
> but I do not see any way to generate a "raw" disk to be used as a
> virtual image, only live iso/usdb hdd which require an additional
> install step (boot the iso then install).
>
> Can live helper generate a virtual disk that could be booted ?
>
> If not, this would be a great feature with all virtualisation/cloud stuff.

All of the virtualization technologies I know of can boot either .img or
.iso directly, so I'm not sure what you mean by "an extra step" here ..

Also, the manual contains instructions for doing this with a couple of
popular packages, qemu and virtualbox-ose:

http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/the-basics.html#174

Ben