Re: dd a live image and create a second partition

On Wednesday 02 March 2011 22:30:39 Ben Armstrong wrote:

> > If you want to use this data partition with Windows, use FAT32.
> >    # mkfs.vfat -F 32
> > which won't in fact work with Windows.

> Then I suggest we simply drop this point.

> Manually assembling a working USB stick from parts is an "advanced"
> topic that doesn't really belong in this chapter.

I think that a new feature could be needed to address this point.

Some of our users (with the largest possible meaning there), could be more
familiar with windows tools or need to interoperate with this operating
system. The way the things works now on this point are suboptimal.

What should be provider is a way to mount the original ${PARTITION} (the one
with isolinux/syslinux and squashfs in it) read/write, that way anext2 image
file for persistence [1], a cpio.gz snapshot [2] or even just a plain directory
on Fat filesystem bind mounted somewhere else [3], can be used both to have
some data interchange with the windows system and to achieve some sort of easy
persistence.

I can imagine a couple of interesting use cases without big effort, like
students having this Live System on both school and home but with easy access
also from daddy's pc to data and for software configuration from windows for a
custom debian live system that perform a single specialized task (like the
high successful XBMC-live for example).

Points 1 and 2 needs some minor patching on persistence code and to read-only
mounting of the live "binary" image, point 3 could be done with the latter
read/write mount and a small hook, also in live-config.

--
ESC:wq