Re: live-persistence.binds and live-snapshot.exclude_list with live-boot 2.0.11-1

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Marco Amadori <amadorim@vdavda.com> wrote:

It seems to be there in both debian-old and debian-next branch of live-boot
git repository.

Maybe you use somthing like konqueror for reading manpages? Try with plan
"man".

I'm using "man live-snapshot" from a shell prompt and in the FILES section of the man page I see documentation for:

/etc/live.conf
live/filesystem.module
/etc/live-persistence.binds
/etc/live-snapshot.list

If I read "man live-boot", in the "FILES (old)" section I see:
/etc/live.conf
live/filesystem.module
/etc/live-persistence.binds

and then in "FILES"
/etc/live/boot.conf
/etc/live/boot.d/
live/boot.conf
live/boot.d/

but for the "FILES" section, there is no documentation text to go with any of these files.

I believe you when you say that you see documentation for /etc/live-snapshot.exclude_list in debian-old and debian-next branches of live-boot.  Maybe the debian-sq-live-rc1-i386-gnome-desktop.iso build occurred off of an unexpected branch/revision?  Is there a way that I could view online a version of the live-boot man pages from debian-old or debian-next?  I'm not familiar with git.

> There are examples for both live-persistence.binds
> and live-snapshot.exclude_list in /usr/share/doc/live-boot/examples so I'm
> guessing that there is an intent for both of these files to be supported by
> live-boot/live-snapshot.  However, I am having problems with
> using live-persistence.binds, so I've tried the
> now-undocumented live-snapshot.exclude_list as well.
>
> /etc/live-snapshot.list seems to work ok in that I can limit the snapshot
> to contain just "/etc/live-snapshot.list" and "/home".
>
> What I'd like to do now is exclude things like "/home/user/.mozilla".
>
> If I have just /home/user/.mozilla in /etc/live-persistence.binds, .mozilla
> still ends up in live-sn.cpio.gz and I don't see the tmpfs described on the
> man page.

persistence.binds regard snapshot run time, exclude_list is about snapshot
build time. So it is correct that you get this behaviour.

I will accept your comment that this is expected behavior, but I still don't understand what the usage model is for persistence.binds.  I will stick with using exclude_list.

> I tried to make a snapshot with the default "/live/cow", but exclude a few
> things (/var/log) using live-persistence.binds/live-snapshot.exclude_list.
>  However, in this case I end up with an empty live-sn.cpio.gz.  Is
> live-snapshot.list required in order to
> use live-persistence.binds/live-snapshot.exclude_list?

No, it should not.

If live-snapshot.list does not exist it creates a list of all files in /cow.
The bug (please open one n the BTS) is that in this case your exclude lists
needs to have relative paths.

Thanking for spotting it. Ill' commit a fix.

Ok, I'll try again.  My first attempt at using reportbug failed with some sort of GUI problem (dialog box with no text and yes/no buttons).

Csaba