Re: configuring proprietary drivers at boot time

Greetings,

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Nicola Busanello <dieeasy.moo@gmail.com> wrote:
>        Hi all,
>
> I'd like to have a Debian live system recognize video boards at boot,
> optionally configuring the system to use proprietary drivers.
>
> As far as I understand, proprietary drivers (say nvidia and fglrx)
> cannot be installed in chroot, because:
>        - they conflict with each other (-glx packages, mostly)
>        - there could be more than one version available (e.g. nvidia has
>          many legacy versions)
>        - nvidia/fglrx install a blacklist for free driver modules, which
>          could instead be the right choice (e.g. ATI cards prior to r500
>          are not supported by fglrx)
>
> I know this is what I should expect from using non-free stuff and in
> fact I knew I was diggin a minefield right from the start.
> I want to do it the same because what I want is to enable completely
> live-based lan-parties for some gamers to gather, start one machine (the
> netboot server with the live image) and then just boot their gaming
> machines from the net into a fully 3D-capable desktop and play, Debian way!
> I hope one day all of this will be just bad memories, with nouveau and ati
> being fast and feature complete enough.
>
> In the meantime I ask for your help :)
> Can someone point me to a solution?

First, I know little about 3D things. But if the add on things you
want are not available from a package repository and are available as
a .deb you could try adding them via chroot_local_packages
http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/live-manual.html#404