Re: Syslinux installation fails with

Jason Heeris <jason.heeris <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'm running Debian Wheezy/Sid, with live-build 3.0~a34-1. The config
> command I use is:
>
> $ LB_PARENT_ARCHIVE_AREAS="main contrib non-free" lb config -b usb-hdd
> --distribution wheezy --archive-areas "main contrib non-free"
> --parent-mirror-bootstrap http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian/
> --mirror-bootstrap http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian/
>
> When I then run "lb build", I get the attached build log, ending with:
>
> ----
> Setting up memtest86+ (4.20-1) ...
> Setting up syslinux-common (2:4.04+dfsg-3) ...
> Setting up syslinux (2:4.04+dfsg-3) ...
> Setting up syslinux-themes-debian-squeeze (10-1) ...
> mkdir: missing operand
> Try `mkdir --help' for more information.
> P: Begin unmounting filesystems...
> P: Saving caches...
> Reading package lists...
> Building dependency tree...
> Reading state information...
> ----
>
> And then I'm back at the prompt with no image produced.
>
> Is there something simple I can do to get past this error?
>
> — Jason

In case you've not already found out, usb-hdd isn't a valid
target type any more. It's hdd now. Take a look in

....live/build/scripts/build/lb_binary_syslinux

about half way down.
"""
# Assembling image specifics
case "${LB_BINARY_IMAGES}" in
        iso*)
                _BOOTLOADER="isolinux"
                _SUFFIX="binary/isolinux"
                ;;

        net*)
                _BOOTLOADER="pxelinux"
                _SUFFIX="tftpboot"
                ;;

        hdd*)
                _BOOTLOADER="syslinux"
                _SUFFIX="binary/syslinux"
                ;;
esac

# Copying files
mkdir -p ${_SUFFIX}
"""

So if you use usb-hdd, _SUFFIX isn't set and the rest is obvious.

*)
    echo "What's a ${LB_BINARY_IMAGES} exactly??"
    ;;

would be a good idea ;)

Took me three days to find this. Just testing it out now...
but I've seem some pretty beautiful shell programming, so I'm a better
person for it :D

"The source code is the documentation"

Seriously, I expect the fine manual will catch up (if I'm right!)
when the live-build heroes have some spare time.

Nick/.