Re: Fwd: Debian 'Live' install from .img to USB

On 05/08/11 09:15 PM, chals wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 12:08 AM, Alex <avkorff@hotmail.com
> <mailto:avkorff@hotmail.com>> wrote:
>     I have also used the command "dd
>     if=debian-live-6.0.1-i386-__gnome-desktop.img of=/dev/sdb1" to try
>     to install on the USB.  When trying to mount this after much
>     activity had been completed, the system recognised that a USB device
>     had been attached but couldn't recognise the device. I then looked
>     at the device using Partition Editor, which classified the partition
>     type as "Unknown" after this partition had been previously formatted
>     using Partition Editor to FAT16 as per prior instructions.
> dd'ing the image as you did will do.

The above command is not correct, as explained here:

http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/the-basics.html#181

Your problem is that the image needs to be dd'd to the whole device, not
a partition. This will, of course, wipe the entire contents of the device.

Ben