Re: error: failed to push some refs to 'git@live.debian.net:/live-manual.git'

Hi,

chals wrote:

> chals@odd:~/live-manual$ git push
> Counting objects: 50, done.
> Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (30/30), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (30/30), 6.19 KiB, done.
> Total 30 (delta 26), reused 0 (delta 0)
> To git@live.debian.net:/live-manual.git
>    e9f2a57..f7539fc  debian-next -> debian-next
>  ! [rejected]        debian -> debian (non-fast-forward)
> error: failed to push some refs to 'git@live.debian.net:/live-manual.git'
> To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
> Merge the remote changes (e.g. 'git pull') before pushing again.  See the
> 'Note about fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.
> chals@odd:~/live-manual$
>
> Pay attention to:
>
>  ! [rejected]        debian -> debian (non-fast-forward)
>
> I'm not merging anything to the debian branch. What can the matter be? What
> can I do? Just ignore it?

"git push" without further arguments publishes all branches for which
there's a branch with the same name in origin.  The idea is that if
you were publishing to your own personal repo, those are the branches
you have already published and want people to see.

So git tried to push your "debian" branch, too, but because it was
behind the published version (so "non-fast-forward") it was stopped.
Phew.

To push one branch, you can do

	$ git push origin debian

Hope that helps,