Re: Adding bootstrap-base to a image

On 03/03/2011 02:31 PM, Jose Luis Zabalza wrote:
> I tried build a image with bootstrap-base udeb inside, copying
> bootstrap-base_1.115_i386.udeb file on config/binary_local-udebs/
> directory but not was successfull.

I'm not positive, but isn't this a core component built into the initrd?
If that's the case, then it can't be included via
config/binary_local-udebs/. That mechanism currently only works for
additional modules. You can use config/binary_debian-installer-includes/
to include *files* from a udeb. I successfully used this method to test
a rebuilt netcfg in a live image as follows:

Note: What follows is a *total hack* and is not guaranteed to work!
Simply exploding a package in this way is *not* the same thing as
installing it! So don't blame me if it kills your cat or sets fire to
your house.  Do not use this method for production builds! Do not file
any bugs resulting from use of this method! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

1. use dpkg -x to extract udeb contents into
config/binary_debian-installer-includes/
2. use dpkg -e to extract udeb control file contents into
/binary_debian-installer-includes/var/lib/dpkg/info/
3. rename the relevant files for this directory to their real names,
e.g. postinst -> netcfg.postinst and templates -> netcfg.templates and
discard the rest (e.g. control)
4. build the image

This worked well enough for me to test netcfg. It's definitely not
suitable for anything else.

Once upon a time, Daniel told me on irc:

16:13 < dba> SynrG: (fyi: derivative support is just halfway done in
3.x, in future, you can put any udeb in local udebs, and live-build will
do the right thing (even rebuilding initrd if necessary))

Ben