Re: Will free kernel mean firmware problems in Live in persistent mode?

On 02/01/2011 11:03 AM, Shankar Gopalakrishnan wrote:
> Dear all,

Hi,

> I just had a question regarding the new "all-free" kernel announced for
> Squeeze and upwards.  Is this the kernel that will be used for Debian
> Live?

yes - debian-live is debian, there's no difference.

> If so, might there be problems in booting the live system on some
> machines. In that case, will it be possible to get a Live image, from
> the website, that has a kernel with all the firmware included?

yes, we'll provide them soon on live.debian.net.

> Or can
> one download the firmware separately and store it on the system in a way
> that the Live image would load it when booting?

if you use persistency, you can always just install the firmware
packages in the booted system.

if you do that, or use a prebuild unofficial image with firmware already
included, doesn't matter and is entirely up to you.

Regards,
Daniel