Re: Renovate debian-live wiki?

On 22/01/11 01:57 PM, Charles Russell wrote:
> The debian-live manual has a section called "for the impatient", but it
> only addresses the impatient builder of a live iso, not the impatient
> end-user of the live iso.

Please read the opening statements of the same chapter:

"The main goal of this manual is to serve as a single access point to
all documentation related to the Debian Live project. It does not
include end-user documentation for using a Debian Live system as far as
things are live specific."

> Debian-live is now about as user-friendly as
> any distribution,

Debian-live is not a distribution. It is a live system of the Debian
distribution. It's an important distinction, as it means that support
for the things you can do with it as a user (insofar as they are not
live-specific) comes from the Debian project itself, not from the Debian
Live project.

> at least until you get to wireless, but the
> documentation is not nearly as user-friendly as the software itself.
> What about the beginner who simply wants to get debian-live running from
> a thumb drive?

Wireless would be an end-user question for regular user support of
Debian, e.g. through debian-user@lists.debian.org.

> I can understand that developers might not be interested in explaining
> how to burn an iso or what is meant by a hybrid iso, but there seems no
> place at present for user-created documentation.

Nor does it belong in any of the documentation of the Debian Live
project if it is about things such as getting wireless working. That
belongs in the documentation of Debian itself.

> The debian-live wiki
> is deprecated, and there is no section devoted to debian-live on the
> debian wiki. Wherever this documentation is put, the sections for 1)
> builders and 2) end-users should be separate.

Separate, as in, not in our documentation at all. We are a project to
make tools to build live images, not to support end users.

> One problem getting
> started with debian is the volume of information turned up by any
> search, very little of which is relevant to the new user.

Only if you Google randomly. I'm sorry, but if you search randomly you
will get random results. If, however, you approach the Debian user
community with some precise support questions, I am sure they would
oblige you by helping out. (See the debian-user list mentioned above,
for starters.)

I appreciate that getting started with Debian can be difficult and
sincerely hope you find the help you need. If you do, in the end,
discover that you are up against some live-specific issues and not just
general Debian issues, please post to this list again, giving us some
actual details about the problems you're experiencing and we'll see what
we can do to help.

Regards,
Ben