Preceedings

Hello all,

I know that you can specify packages to be installed in a live system through (custom) package list.
But recently I (finally) installed a 64-bit debian (amd64) alongside my 32-bit installation (triple
boot with windows now). While doing that I answered the same questions from d-i as before and after
the install I installed a whole bunch of other packages, again the same as I always do (while
referring to various notes I've laying around).
The list of packages is the same on both systems (64 and 32-bit) as well as the same as I use for
creating debian-live images.

There should be a better way for this and therefor I was thinking of using preceeds.
Are preceeds indeed a proper way to solve my issue or is there a better way?
Are there any good guides available to start working with preceeds?
I've found the (squeeze) d-i manual (http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apb.html) and the
Preseed wiki page (http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed), which links to various (very)
specific scenarios and are mostly quite dated.
I will experiment with preceeds using VirtualBox. Does anyone have tips/tricks related to that?

You usually start with preceedings by invoking debconf-get-selections, but my system doesn't seem to
know that command, but it does know debconf-set-selections. Is my system borked (a real possibility
since I'm getting strange issues on my 32-bit install, which so far don't happen on my 64-bit
install) or is something else going on?

Thanks in advance,
  Diederik