Re: live-installer on Squeeze, missing keyboard settings post-install

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Philip Newborough
<corenominal@corenominal.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org> wrote:
>> On 12/13/2010 01:46 AM, Philip Newborough wrote:
>>>
>>> the keyboard selections chosen during the install process are not being
>>> honoured
>>
>> you're using squeeze, right? what keyboard combination are you using?
>>

> Yes, I am building on squeeze. During the install I generally select
> "English - English" for language, "United Kingdom" for location and
> "British English" for keyboard layout.
>
> In the installed system, both 'tzdata' and 'locales' appear to be
> configured correctly, but 'keyboard-configuration' keeps its default
> settings of "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC" for model, "USA" for layout,
> "The default for the keyboard layout" for AltGr and "No compose key"
> for Compose key.
>
> Is this a bug? Or am I missing something?
>
>  -- Philip

I have now tried an installation with Marco Amadori's patch[1]
applied. As stated by Marco, it does fix the problem and the chosen
keymap is correctly set-up in the installed system. However, during
the installation I was prompted to select my desired keymap 3 times,
so it is far from ideal.

Also, this is obviously quite easy to fix in the installed system by
reconfiguring the 'keyboard-configuration' package, but I guess the
main concern is when a user selects any keymap, other than US, during
the install process and uses any characters in their password which
are not mapped to US. In such a case the user might be a bit flummoxed
when their password is rejected.

Any thoughts?

 -- Philip

[1]:http://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2010/11/msg00156.html