Autotesting Update

Hi List,

It has been a while but at last I got a new server and some time to
set up a few VPS to run Autotesting.

_Summary for Impatient_
1) Autotesting back up
2) Autobuilding using lh sid-snapshots and lh from git debian-next
3) Daily, weekly and monthly test cycle.
4) http://twitter.com/livecd_org

_What is Autotesting_
Developing tools for building liveCDs (or LiveUSBs etcs) can be very
time consuming as any progression of code and testing of this changed
code can require the building of a new boot-able image, then booting
this image to see the results.

Based upon a throw away comment that someone[5] said to me at a geek
get together[4]. I had an itch to scratch to develop a way to auto
test liveCDs. Hence "Autotesting". The output of the autotesting is a
video of the live-images being booted via qemu as well a png showing
the final screenshot and a png showing a montage of frames from the
video. Looking as the final screenshot gives a good indication of a
successful boot.

_Autobuiding_
To feed some daily boot-able images to autotesting I have set up a
script to build some images. In particular two types;
1) live-snapshot - Images built using lh sid-snapshots at live.debain.net
2) git-debian-next - Images built using lh from git.  (git checkout -b
debian-next origin/debian-next)

At the moment, only processor i386, distribution squeeze and
package-list standard binary-hybrid.iso(s) are built.
http://autobuild.livecd.org/autobuild/debian-live/
(Download speed throttled to 100kb/s)

_Test cycle_

Every Day;
1) the latest squeeze image, i386, lxde-desktop booted as both a USB
image and as a cdrom.
2) the latest squeeze image, amd64,  lxde-desktop, as a cdrom.
3) the latest squeeze image, powerpc,  lxde-desktop, as a cdrom.
4) Webconverger daily builds [2]
5) Autobuilt images live-snapshot and git-debian-next

Every Week:
1) Latest Morphix image [3]

Every Month:
All the squeezes image for amd64, i386 and powerpc.

_Output_
All of the iso and hybrid-iso of the Squeeze Builds has been tested.
  http://autotesting.livecd.org/autotesting/debian-live/60alpha1/

For example:-
http://autotesting.livecd.org/autotesting/current/debian-live/60alpha1/i386/iso-hybrid/boot-as-usb/lxde-desktop/montage-of-video-frames.png
http://autotesting.livecd.org/autotesting/current/debian-live/60alpha1/amd64/iso-hybrid/boot-as-cdrom/lxde-desktop/final-screenshot.png

Each set of tests are kept for 4 test cycles. (e,g. 4 days for the daily tests)
http://autotesting.livecd.org/autotesting/debian-live/60alpha1/i386/iso-hybrid/boot-as-cdrom/xfce-desktop/2010-05-23/final-screenshot.png

All squeeze images boot fine. For powerpc images, I can not get the
xserver to work. Reading around, this an issue with qemu-system-ppc
and xserver.

For the daily autobuilds, both building using l.d.n snapshots and git
debian-next all are booting fine.

_Bugs_
Code:
  http://git.debian.org/?p=debian-live/autotesting.git

Requires a patch to qemu, for booting powerpc images.
  http://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/index.html#33553

_To_Do_
I am still trying to figure out how to boot/test the new/web builds.

_Twitter_
I understand this is not everyone's cup of tea, but I wanted an easy
way to keep track of the tests and builds. So on every build or test,
a tweet is generated at:-
http://twitter.com/livecd_org
(Normally 9 tweets per day + extra 1 per week + a lot at first day of month)

Happy to supply further information and feedback is always welcome.

Regards,
Brendan M. Sleight

Other Links
[1] Squeeze Builds - http://live.debian.net/cdimage/squeeze-builds/current/
[2] Webconverger builds - http://build.webconverger.org/
[3] Morphix - http://morphix.org/
(Ok Morphix maybe in a coma, but I can still check the vital signs.)
[4] http://www.google.com/search?q=morphest+2005
[5] http://www.jurecuhalev.com/blog/about/