Re: thoughts about adding tmpfs support to live-helper

a classic rule of unix - 'if it aint broken, dont fix it'

regards.

2010/5/21 Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org>
Hi,

using tmpfs as easy as possible within live-helper would be nice
(optional, of course, since we can't know the amount of ram and the
image size to build) in order to speed up the build process a bit, but
to do that most effectively, the whole  build-tree should be in the tmpfs.

since we can't know the current directy before building, and to avoid
moving things arround in a hackish way, there's only one solution that i
can think of: moving everything except the config into build/, and
having build/ on a tmpfs.

means, before the change, we have:

server4:/home/user# mkdir foo
server4:/home/user# cd foo/
server4:/home/user/foo# lh config && lh build
server4:/home/user/foo# ls
auto  binary  binary-hybrid.iso  binary.list  binary.packages  cache
chroot  config
server4:/home/user/foo#

and afterwards we'd have:

server4:/home/user# mkdir foo
server4:/home/user# cd foo/
server4:/home/user/foo# lh config && lh build
server4:/home/user/foo# ls
auto  binary-hybrid.iso  binary.list  binary.packages  build  config
server4:/home/user/foo# cd build/
server4:/home/user/foo/build# ls
binary  cache  chroot
server4:/home/user/foo/build#

since this is quite a big change for those that do hackish stuff (for
those, that are using config/* properly, there will nothing change,
since the binaries are put in the same place as before)..

..what do you think about such a layout change?

Regards,
Daniel

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email:          daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net