GRUB2 vs gfxboot

Hi,

Ubuntu is willing to switch to GRUB2 as the boot loader for their CDs [1].

Quoting the blueprint [2] on Launchpad:

    GRUB should now support booting from CDs reliably, and its new
    graphical menu system was designed partly with the aim of being
    able to implement our CD menus. If successful, this would be
    easier to maintain than gfxboot.

Any (educated or not) opinions on this?

I'm wondering because the gfxboot integration work into Debian Live
seems quite far from being finished (correct me if I'm wrong), and
designing / customizing gfxboot themes and menus seems to be a pretty
hard bit of work. In case it is still time to think a second time
about it, these were my 2 cents.

  [1] http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2010/05/17/ubuntu-10-10-maverick-developer-summit/
  [2] https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-m-cd-boot

Bye,