looking for net image success stories

I'd like to hear how folks on this list are using net images of Debian
Live.

I'm a longtime user of LTSP, which boots thin clients over the network
which then run applications remotely on the LTSP server.  This is great
for low power clients, but for newer clients I'd like to move some of
that processing power off of the central server and onto the client.

The options I've come up with so far are LTSP "fat client mode" (still
researching this one), DRBL (Diskless Remote Boot in Linux), and Debian
Live net images.

Does anyone out there use persistence with a net image?  How about NFS
mounting /home?  I'll be using LDAP for authentication.  Any tips for
adding LDAP users to local groups (audio, plugdev, etc)?

I'd appreciate any advice, anecdotes, warnings, etc.

-Rob