Re: Cannot install ssmtp (was: Preventing installation of specific packages)

On 22 November 2010 17:38, Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org> wrote:
> provide the complete build log, make sure it's not a local error, etc
> pp. basically, do the research as outlined in
> http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/bugs.html.

Yes, my apologies for that. I was already partway through this
process, but the necessity of rebuilding from scratch coupled with my
attempts to reduce the problem to the minimum number of packages that
trigger it make for a really, really long build-check cycle.

But I eventually narrowed it down to this: if ssmtp is the last entry
in a *.list file, and there is no trailing newline in the file, it is
ignored. This drove me nuts when I got to the point of having two
*apparently* completely identical config trees, and one would produce
an image with ssmtp and the other wouldn't (serves me right for
telling meld to shut up about white space and line endings).

So I'm guessing that this is due to whatever lower level tool is used
to convert these files into aptitude/apt arguments.

— Jason