Re: Preventing installation of specific packages

On 18 November 2010 12:10, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com> wrote:
> Maybe explicitly install ssmtp (or some other minimal package)?
> Specifically, ssmtp does not start any daemon. But it Provides
> mail-transport-agent.

But I don't want an MTA *at all* — it's always the first thing I
remove from a new system, since nothing I use ever requires it (it
would have to be my biggest peeve in Debian, in fact).

Besides, it's not just the MTA I want to avoid, there are other
recommends in other packages I'd quite like to leave off.

If it's not possible to block the download and installation of it,
what's the simplest way to purge it in the chroot before creating the
image?

Cheers,
Jason