Re: Persistent=cryptsetup

2010/11/7 intrigeri <intrigeri+debian-live@boum.org>
hi,
marcosestevesbarbosa@gmail.com wrote (02 Nov 2010 13:15:22 GMT) :
> I say you need to use (manually) the commands to format a encrypted
> partition (and set the password):
> cryptsetup luksFormat <device>
> mkfs.ext2 ...

by the way, there are easier ways to achieve this:

- the crypsetup package ships a luksformat script that does both
 above-mentionned steps
- Squeeze's GNOME ships gnome-disk-utility, aka palimpsest, that does
 the same in a GUI.

Ok, use luksformat. If works, thats ok.

> Maybe is a good idea include this commands inside initramfs. The secret is
> use the command:
> cryptsetup isLuks <device>
> if the <device> is luks formated, return zero code. If not formated, return
> 234 code.
> The basically idea is: If is the first use of the system, isLuks return 234
> and system show a prompt to set the password. If not, isLuks return zero and
> just show prompt to enter the password and mount the device.

Well, ok, but how is the Live system supposed to guess what block
device should be Luks-formated?

The device on which the system is running. Is solution for live USB, not live CD/DVD.
Bye,
Bye.