Re: Unable to mount the live img

Bart Smink <bartsmink@gmail.com> writes:

> $ mount -o loop ./debian-live-506-i386-kde-desktop.img mount
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Probably the .img is a disk image, not a partition image.

If you run "file binary.img", it will probably report

    binary.img: x86 boot sector, partition 1: [...]

If this is an image you downloaded, BEFORE you do anything else, you
should check that it downloaded successfully (by running md5sum on the
file and comparing it to the md5sum listed on the site).

> I followed the following guide:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Howto/USB
> It says that I have to use the following command:
>
> sudo mount -o loop,offset=512 debian-live-506-i386-kde-desktop.img mount

Perhaps the image-building process has changed, and the first partition
is no longer guaranteed to begin at the 512th byte.

> But this offset does not make any difference, mount:you must specify the
> filesystem type.

Use "fdisk -l binary.img" to inspect it and find out what the offset
should be.

> mount -t usbfs -o loop ./debian-live-506-i386-kde-desktop.img mount

USB mass storage devices usually use the same filesystems as normal hard
disks, e.g. ext3.  They may have a partition table (hence -ooffset=N).

"usbfs" is doubtless some specialized filesystem which has nothing to do
with your current goal.  I'd check, but it doesn't seem to be part of
the current Linux kernel.