problems with building a lxde live system

Hi there!

I am trying to compile a live CD/USB system with lxde and a collection
of tools, which I often use for data analysis.

First I used the web frontend and produced a squeeze lxde iso image.
(That's a great idea and promotes linux live systems very well!)

Unfortunately the gdm is installed, too. While booting that results into
a conflict with the lxde autologin session.

I've started to build live systems locally with my own package list.
Today I've installed live-helper_2.0~a16-1_i386 . (Yes, I've rebuilt the
config directory from scratch with lh config.)

I do something like:
lh config \
-r live.debian.net \
-d squeeze \
-p lxde \
--mirror-bootstrap http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ \
--mirror-chroot http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ \
--mirror-binary http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ \
--username labgroup \
--hostname labhost \
--cache-packages true \
--cache-indices true\
--debian-installer false \
--apt-recommends false \
--memtest none \
--archive-areas "main contrib non-free"

Without the "--apt-recommends false" option I got the same conflict with
gdm (well, the web builder uses the same version...)

Unfortunately the --hostname and --username  parameters have no effect.

Furthermore, the instructions to change the password are outdated.
I've modified the hook script suggestion from the manual as follows:
(seems to work...)

plain_password="cheers bro"
password=$(echo "${plain_password}" | mkpasswd -s)
sed -i -e 's/\(_PASSWORD=\)\(.*\)/\1\"'${password}'\"/'
/lib/live/config/002-user-setup

With "--apt-recommends true", lxde works fine, but I run into other
problems, which I did not experience before:

I want to use hdfview, which will install openjdk-6-jre-headless, but
that fails, here the lh build output:

Setting up openjdk-6-jre-headless (6b18-1.8-1) ...
the java command requires a mounted proc fs (/proc).
dpkg: error processing openjdk-6-jre-headless (--configure):

Does anyone know how to fix that?

During all the tests, I used several directories to build different live
systems and compared them. I would suggest to have an option to use a
single package cache directory

Cheers, Achim