User is not created when booting.

Dear,

I've recently rebuild a debian squeeze image and found the next problem.
The user that is passed in the boot params username=blah is not created.
The live.log says:

pwconv: failed to change the mode of /etc/passwd- to 0600
adduser: Only one or two names allowed.
chpasswd: (user ) pam_chauthtok() failed, error:
Authentication token manipulation error
chpasswd: (line 1, user ) password not changed
The default user (licht) is not present,
no other valid users found, disabling autologin.

during boot I've seen that the useradd line didn't contain a username, it was empty.

Is this a known issue, ore something i did wrong?

Thanks
 Malic