Image created by live-helper doesn't boot

Hello,

I kind of hoped that after fixing #581808, the images created by live-helper will finally be bootable. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

See the attached transcript, particularly this part:

Begin: Adding live session user ... adduser: Only one or two names allowed.
chpasswd: (user ) pam_chauthtok() failed, error:
Authentication token manipulation error
chpasswd: (line 1, user ) password not changed
The default user (user) is not present,
no other valid users found, disabling autologin.
done.
Begin: Configuring fstab ... done.

which means there is no user on the system that can log in which makes the system unusable.

adduser is called from user-settings-apply, but I can't see any illegal adduser command line in there. I tried to reproduce the problem in single-user mode (the image boots into single-user mode), but couldn't (I tried creating a script with db_set passwd/make-user true; ...; user-settings-apply, and it ran successfully). All the packages are current unstable versions.

Do you know any other way to debug this, or if it is a bug in any of the packages?

Regards
    Jiri Palecek