keystrokes delayed and have to hold a key to see boot messages?

Hello list,

I searched the archives but couldn't find anything like this. I'm using an aspire 5542.

It boots up to a certain point and then the messages stop. If I hold down the control key they keep moving. I'm afraid I didn't test this properly so I don't know if I have to hold the key down to get it to boot all the way.

After X starts, I can start a terminal but then every key press I make is buffered somewhere until I press another key and then the buffered key appears! Weird!

I don't have regular access to this machine, so it's difficult to do much testing. I want to go armed with some good ideas to try - does anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks for your time,

Matthew

--
Matthew Venn