Re: Netboot failures

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:09:45AM -0500, John Morrissey wrote:
> The same 'lh config' invocation (with '-b iso' instead of '-b net')
> produces a working ISO image that will boot.
>
> Perhaps 'udevadm settle' in /scripts/live is failing and the errexit
> ('set -e') is causing /init to exit? What am I missing?

It's not the 'udevadm settle,' but the following ipconfig that's failing.

The virtio_net module isn't present in the initramfs (I'm booting this in a
KVM VM). ipconfig fails (silently, ick) and triggers errexit. init exits,
and the kernel panics. Adding virtio_net to the initramfs manually makes the
live image netboot just fine.

This leaves me with the question of how to have this module added to the
generated initramfs. I tried following:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/FAQ#Q.3AHowdoIincludedifferentmodulestoloadwhenthelivesystemboots.3F

but virtio_net doesn't show up in the tftpboot/ initrd, nor the chroot
initrd (chroot/boot/initrd*).

How can I "properly" have virtio_net added to the tftpboot initrd?

john
--
John Morrissey          _o            /\         ----  __o
jwm@horde.net        _-< \_          /  \       ----  <  \,