Re: Wireless and LiveCD

On 2009-12-30 Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > I looked in /etc/wicd of the squashfs file but saw it was empty!
>
> since it's a rather common use case, live-initramfs should at some point
> have some magic to set this file up. patches welcome.

Time to start reading/experimenting with customizing live-initramfs and hooks then.
I've found some info on hooks in man:/initramfs-tools but the manual is rather empty on that part.
Do you have some pointer/examples for me?

> note that the kde4 livecd was not produced by us, so i can't speak for
> the team that build it and decided to to not including b43-cutter.

It's my own created KDE4 livecd and I forgot to include that package.
The trigger for me to learn about creating a livecd did come from that official livecd though (and
especially that it's dated).

> however, since b43-fwcutter is in contrib, it will never be included on
> any official default debian-live image (if ressources allow it, which i
> doubt atm, it could make sense to offer a contrib/non-free partial
> squashfs for download, or even create a set of contrib/non-free images
>  too).

If with resources you mean hosting space or sth like that, I can probably offer some.

> > Is there a way to patch the iso file so it includes that package (and
> > therefor doesn't have to download a complete image again (and again...))?
>
> you can create a partial squashfs filesystem, which would only contain
> the files that are missing, plus the files that are changed in compared
> to the original filesystem.squashfs from the image.
>
> once you have that, you can put it into the live directory, create a
> module file (see man live-initramfs for details) and rebuild the iso, or
> usb-hdd image.

Time for some more reading/experimenting ;-)

> Regards,
> Daniel

Thanks,
  Diederik