Re: testing a new PC

2009/10/9 Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com>:
> Hi
>
> I'll be getting a NEW PC next week. I'd like to test the hardware. A
> live CD/USB is naturally a simple way to do that. However: is there any
> existing package with a set of tests to save me time when doing so?
>
> If there both a command-line interface and a usable X11 interface it's
> even better.
>
> A quick search did not produce anything.
>
> Tests:
>
> * Sound
>  - Try to play a sound

try playing a long playlist in vlc/mplayer It will most likely fail to
initialize sound for ~ every 5th file because ALSA sucks

>  - Warn if volume is 0?
> * Video
>  - Running X11 is a test of its own

try running (and using) Firefox for ~30min to see if the card locks up quickly

try glxinfo to see if there is acceleration

try running xscreensaver with all hacks installed and enabled for a
few days without blanking and make notes which lock up the most :->

>  - On the console: some frame buffer program?
>  - Not sure about Compoiz and co.
> * Scanner:
>  - scanimage? xsane?

try memtest, cpuburn and copying ~20G data from a hardrive to
/dev/null and to /dev/null on a network server

HTH

Michal