Re: Customizing the live user

On 2009-09-28 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've made a custom KDE 4.3.1 live cd, but whenever I start it up, kaboom
> (http://packages.debian.org/sid/kaboom) get launched, which I don't want
>  and I believe the same happens with the 'official' KDE4.3 image.
> I don't know the details of kaboom, but afaik it gets triggered by either a
>  .kde3 or .kde4 directory in a users home directory.
> So in order to correct that, I've extracted the iso and the squashfs system
>  within it and chrooted into that. See
>  http://www.debe17.com/web_pages/deans_custome_livecd_howto_23apr08.php.htm
> l#139614 for the instructions I've used.
> But I found out that the /home directory is completely empty, so also no
>  entry for user 'user'. So I guess the user 'user' gets created during the
>  startup of the live-cd. Is there a way to customize that part? If so,
>  where should I start digging?
>
> Another thing that happens when a new user starts KDE4 for the first time
>  is that the Aconadi server gets started and various settings get migrated.
> I would like that to also have happened before creating my (updated) iso
>  image, so someone starting my live-cd won't see those.
> I'm aware of the /etc/skel/ directory and that you can set a number of
>  things up in there, but I believe it is not enough for the things I want
>  to do/customize.
>
> What I'm basically looking for is a way to (better) customize the live user
>  experience. Does someone have a solution and/or pointers for this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>    Diederik

I've just discovered another thing I'd like to improve:
When you shutdown KDE you get a msg that there are still logged on users into vt1-6 (all are the
live user) and you have to confirm that you want them to log out as well.
I guess that has to do with the auto-login-feature, but I would like to 'fix' that as well, but don't
know where to look for it.

Regards,
  Diederik