Re: uname

Daniel Baumann wrote:
fix whatever you are compiling to not rely on uname -r, but use KVERS or
similar (which can be set by the user).

I would rather not do this if possible.

it would be handy to know what you're exactely compiling, that way we
could tell you if you're doing it wrong or the software is doing it wrong.

I'm compiling a latest version of the r8169 driver, you can find it here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=4&PFid=4&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true <http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=4&PFid=4&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true>

ultima ratio would be to temporary divert uname as long as the hook is
running, and have faked one that reports whatever the software is expecting.
maybe this will be best, but the an interesting point is: how do I know the version automatically, without updating it each time I use a new kernel version? Or should I just check with "dpkg --list|grep linux-image" what is installed? Or should I check the /lib/modules directory and use the most recent name of the directory starting with 2.6....?

Best regards
Tom,