Re: setting language/keyboard at boot

intrigeri wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> We also desperately need such a "easily choose locale at runtime"
> feature, as appending parameters to the kernel command line is
> unfortunately too complicated / bothersome for most of our users.

don't worry.. i'd like to get that too, as default for squeeze, both
live and install cds.

>> I'm sorry, but the current syslinux menu (vesamenu.c32) doesn't
>> scale enough in order to support that in an usable fashion.
>> you would end up with a dozen of submenues (layout-a, {layout-a1,
>> {layout-a11, ..}, layout-b, layout-c, layout-d) since you cannot use
>> more than 4 entries for compatibility reasons (small screens with
>> 640x480, that is).

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2009/07/msg00007.html

unfortunately, i then couldn't attend debcamp/debconf, will have a look
at the things again in the next days.

> gfxboot has somehow been integrated in upstream syslinux as of
> version 3.74 [1], which is in >=Squeeze, so it might be the right time
> to have a new look at this feature request.

.oO(being syslinux maintainer in debian, i sort of knew that *scnr :)

> A plan could be:

[...]

well, first we need gfxboot in debian.

then, pixelgirl wanted to do a new bootsplash for isolinux, which would
be the perfect oportunity to do the necessary modifications in one shot.

once that's done, the changes in live-helper are very easy.

Regards,
Daniel