Debian-live and german Language

Hi list,...

@first,... greetz to all of you in the list ... from a new subscribed
member.

So here is my case,...

I've downloaded the Lenny-Live-Image and installed it to usb with dd. It
worked fine ...

Now I tried to change the language to german and - naturally - it won't
work on a life image with the controls of Lenny in the desktop, 'cause
the changes can't be saved on the stick.

So my question is:
1. Is it possible to unpack the image, change the language, locales and
the keymap and the rebuild the image?

2. Is it possible - in future times - to get various Versions of the
Live-img which are diffrently localized? (May be a Menue in the
bootsequence to change it on startup)

Regards ...
Stefan