Building something from source

I want to build a live-cd, but I haven't seen something discussing how
to install something from source so it will be there when I use the live
system. For instance, I want to install Songbird, which is a nice media
program. I don't believe it is in the Debian repositories yet, so I
believe I will have to install it from source. However, I have been
looking through the Wikis, and I haven't really seen anything touch on
building from source. I know how to build from source on an installed
distro, but I don't understand how to do it with this lh thing.

How do I build something from source so it will be on the live-cd?

tags: build from source, building from source