Re: How to report boot problems, and how to solve them?

Michael Creel wrote:
> Would it be possible upon a boot failure for live-initramfs to offer
> information such as the kernel version, etc., etc., that might be useful
> for bug reports?

there are two cases:

* failure of the kernel or the bootloader. in these cases, not even the
  initramfs gets started, so there is nothing we can do about.

* failures in the initramfs-stage, like: debian-live bugs, or
  initramfs-tools bugs, or wrong configuration regarding the location of
  the rootfs when using netboot.

  only in the latest case we can do something about it and that is what
  live-initramfs already does.

  admitedly, this could be improved so that it first displays the
  message as it does, and waiting for user to press a key in order to
  show some configuration output as you said. we should have a look at
  this post lenny. however, note, that this only helps in very limited
  cases, all other causes for failures are not and cannot be covered by
  this.

  thinking aloud: maybe it would also make sense to send those logs to a
  user definable address (means, for pelican they should go to you).

Regards,
Daniel