Re: Manual says: Snapshots cannot currently handle file deletion

On Saturday 28 November 2009 23:37:24 Rob Owens wrote:

> I thought that meant that the snapshot feature wouldn't notice when I
> delete a file, but I just tested it and that is not the case.  So what
> does this statement mean?  Or is it just outdated information?

If you delete a file which is present on the read only file system, this file
will still be there using snapshots, this because snapshots will copy over at
boot the ) files which where modified in the last run (latest resynced archived
files from the cow directory) excluding special whiteouts hidden files. (which
tracks deleted files).

This was requested when I initially wrote the snapshot feature in order to not
pollute the snapshot with system files (_MACOSX dir like) since snapshot were
also meant like "saved work" usable also on non live systems or even non linux
systems.

This can be improved for sure.

--
ESC:wq