Live-helper does not generate working PXE-images.

Live-helper does not generate working PXE-images.

Package: live-helper

Version : 1.0.5-2 (git)

Severity: normal, workaround available

The bug doesn't leave any traces in the log-files and results in a
non-functional netboot image. I have reproduced the bug on all recent
versions of live-helper, as well as the git versions I tried.

I am using this very basic lh_config string to configure live-helper:

lh_config -b net -d lenny --net-root-server 192.168.1.5
--bootappend-live “locale=nl_NL.UTF-8” --syslinux-timeout 25

The resulting binary-net.tar.gz file cannot be netbooted from. The
“debian-live style” bootloader isn't displayed, instead a strange
white/gray “circle” is displayed. The system remains responsive to
keyboard strokes, but hangs in a partially rendered menu (try pressing
tab).

Workaround:

Once the script finishes, extract “binary-net.tar.gz” and :

1 Modify “binary-net.tar.gz”/tftpboot/debian-live/i386/boot-screens/menu.cfg
so that the lines “stdmenu.cfg” , “live.cfg” and prompt.cfg get the
prefix “debian-live/i386/boot-screens/” .

2 Modify “binary-net.tar.gz”/tftpboot/debian-live/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default
so that the line “menu.cfg” gets the prefix
“debian-live/i386/boot-screens/”.

This workaround doesn't fix the help menu, but at least provides users
with ready to use netboot images.

Kind Regards,

Ruben Vos

P.S.

This is my first bug-report, guidance/comments appreciated :D.