Re: Booting Debian-live-501 over HTTP

Hi Michal,

Sorry that I missed this email in other mails and hence could not
update you on my progress.
Finally I managed to boot debien live over HTTPFS with ISO.
I used unmodified httpfs for this purpose.

I also managed to boot debian over iscsi.
I had to add open-iscsi tools into initramfs for enabling iscsi booting,
but booting over iscsi is 3 times faster than booting over HTTPFS :-)

The debian over HTTP is deployed at http://boot.kernel.org

And iscsi based debian is deployed on
http://rom.etherboot.org/share/pravin/BKO/

You can try them out if you get time.

The the modifications that I have done to standard initramfs,
and script to generate modified iniramfs are here.
http://rom.etherboot.org/share/pravin/BKO/D/D/DL/

and the problems I faced are documented here.
http://etherboot.org/wiki/soc/2009/pravin/journal/bkodebian
http://etherboot.org/wiki/soc/2009/pravin/journal/bkodebianiscsi

The work is still in progress as there are few issues with DNS entries.
Also, above deployed servers are in US, so network booting from them
is quite slow at other locations.

I would be glad if I can help in improving network booting of Debian.
Can you please guide me how and and where should I submit these modifications
for review and testing?

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Michal Suchanek<hramrach@centrum.cz> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry about the late reply.
>

>> With this ugly hack, I did managed to get past the error, but I got
>> strange error when gnome GUI started.
>> <error>
>> There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
>>
>> Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not
>> work correctly.
>>
>> The last error message was:
>>
>> Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
>> application did not send a reply, the message bus security blocked the reply,
>> the reply timeout expired, or the
>> network connection was broken
>>
>> GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.
>
> I am not running gnome in d-l so I would not know but I expect that
> gnome works right in the gnome images.

I figured out the cause for this warning as delays in booting process.
If the remote server is close enough, then this problem does not occur.

Also, this warning is little harmless.  Users can click on "OK" and continue
with normal working of debian.

> Thanks
>
> Michal

I hope that this work will be considered useful.

Thank you.