http://live.debian.net/manual/html/persistence.html

I had to read the aforementioned page, so thought i might as well copy-edit it at the same time and have attached a patch Unfortunately i couldn't make sense of the last sentence in '7.5.3. Snapshots', so have left it untouched (and not very intelligible)

Charles Johnson
35,38c35,38
<       <p>A live cd paradigm is a preinstalled system which runs from a read-only media, like a cdrom, were writes and modifications does not survive reboots of the host hardware which runs it.</p>
<       <p>A Debian Live system is a generalization of this paradigm and thus supports more media, and not only cds; but stills, in its default behaviour, it should be considered read only and all the runtime evolutions of the system are lost with a shutdown.</p>
<       <p>Persistence is a common name for different kinds of solutions for saving across reboots some or all of this runtime evolution of the system; to undestand how it could work it could be handy to know that even if the system is booted and runt from a read only media, modification to the files and directories are wrote on a writable media, typically a ram disk (tmpfs) and ram disk's data do not survive reboots.</p>
---
47c47
<         <p>With "full persistence" it is meant that instead of using a tmpfs for storing modifications to the read-only media (with the copy-on-write, COW, system) a writable partition is used. In order to use this feature a partition with a clean writable supported filesystem on it labeled "live-rw" must be attached on the system at bootime and the system must be started with "persistent" boot parameter; this partition could be an ext2 partition on the hard disk or on a usb key created with, e.g.:</p>
---
51c51
<         <p>But since live system users, not always can use an hard drive partition, maybe because they aren't allowed or they wan't to repartition a drive, and considering that most USB keys have laughables write speeds, "full" persistence could be also used with just image files, so you could create a file representing a partition and put this image file even on a NTFS partition of a foreign OS, with something like:</p>
---
56c56
---
66c66
---
76,77c76,77
---
84c84
<               <h3 class="title"><a id="id2524980"></a>7.5.4. Partial remasterings</h3>
---
>               <h3 class="title"><a id="id2524980"></a>7.5.4. Partial remastering</h3>
88c88
<         <p>The runtime modification of the tmpfs could be collected usign live-snapshot in a squashfs and added to the cd by remastering the iso in case of cd-r or adding a session to multisession cd/dvd(rw); live-initramfs mounts all /live filesystem in order or with the module bootparameter.</p>
---