Re: Adapting Debian live to support Amazon EC2 custom instance creation

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Daniel Baumann<daniel@debian.org> wrote:
> Christophe Pierret wrote:
>> Are you aware of any work to adapt Debian live scripts to build AMI
>> images for Amazon EC2 ?
>
> no, but patches welcome (if nobody steps up, i'll get around to it
> myself at some point, but likely not in the next two months).
>
> --
> Address:        Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
> Email:          daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net
> Internet:       http://people.panthera-systems.net/~daniel-baumann/
>

> --

At one time I thought of trying to adapt ParallelKnoppix to be able to
do clustering on EC2 similar to what is described at
http://www.datawrangling.com/mpi-cluster-with-python-and-amazon-ec2-part-2-of-3
but I came to realize that using a live CD approach is probably not
the efficient way to go, given that the machines that run EC2 have
given specs. Live CDs are intended to run on heterogeneous hardware.
An AMI image can be a lot more specialized, using a tailor-made
kernel, etc.
Michael