configuring /etc/inittab...

Debian folks,

looks like there's a script;

chroot/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/live-bottom/25configure_init

which is responsible for configuring /etc/inittab.

I'm trying to get the serial console and login on the serial port to
work, at the moment I've resorted to a post startup script which seds
the /etc/inittab and kill -HUP 1, but seems there might be a a way to
have the boot image have this configured from the start, but I'm not
seeing it.

Does anyone have any pointers to how lh_config or some-such might get
this setup for the boot?

thanks,
andrew