Re: is it possible to install a custom initramfs USB bootable system?

Greetings,

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Miernik <public@public.miernik.name> wrote:
Richard Nelson <unixabg@gmail.com> wrote:
> toram
>      Adding this parameter, live-initramfs will try to copy the whole
>      read-only media to the computer´s RAM before mounting the root
>      filesystem. This could need a lot of ram, according to the space
>      used by the read-only media.
>
> I use it on server(s) that I netboot. Someone else might have more
> comments.

Thanks. And after booting this way can I remove the USB media I booted
from? Or disconnect the server I booted from if it was netbooted?

Hmm I have not tested but I would expect you could. However, if you desire to use persistence with the USB then no.

You may also want to consider the fetch= boot param. From the man of live-initramfs:

       fetch=URL
           Another form of netboot by downloading a squashfs image from a
           given url, copying to ram and booting it. Due to current
           limitations in busyboxs wget and DNS resolution, an URL can not
           contain a hostname but an IP only.
       Not working: http://example.com/path/to/your_filesystem.squashfs
       Working: http://1.2.3.4/path/to/your_filesystem.squashfs

       Also note that therefore it´s currently not possible to fetch an image
       from a namebased virtualhost of an httpd if it is sharing the ip with
       the main httpd instance.