Re: things i do not understand

during the system boot, an aufs (or unionfs) layer on top of the
read-only mounted filesystem (squashfs) is established. any write you do
will result in a transparent ramdisk overlay.

ok this is what is not working for me
I tried to make one live system to work with FAI but it complain that
/var is read only so i am a little lost to debug this.

i've no clue about fai. what did you exactely do? are you using live-helper?
no not live-helper i think it use live initramfs it create what is called a nfsroot this is a debootstrapped image that must be run. perhaps i should make something to this image to make it work with the ramdisk overlay. It would be because it use live-initramsfs without the part to make the ro image work with the rest of the live scripts ...

So i need to read more on live-helper but all i found on the web was very scarce (read docs with FIXME everywhere ;) ). back at googling then thanks for pointing me here i think this is the part i miss.

regards,
Jean.