How do I customize the contents of initrd images on debian-live?

I would like to add modules to an initrd images and make sure that they
are loaded at boot time but I have been unable to find a way to do this
in debian-live.

On a live system I add the modules to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
followed by a "mkinitramsf -o /boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r)" and this
appears to take care of everything.

In a debian-live context, I'm not sure whether I need to code the above
in a script and if so where I should place it or if there is file where
I should add these definitions.

Thanks!

CJ