Re: [Fwd: Re: Test of Debian Live Lenny Beta1 on an Acer One]

>> Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
>>> It shouldn't be too hard to add the ucvcvideo driver should it? I
>>> will look into how that works with debian-live.
>> it's an oot module (linux-uvc) and in debian already, so that should be
>> fairly easy to add it for custom builds.
>
> I will then try to build a custom live CD for my platform and write
> some documentation about it on the debian Acer One wiki.

rather than spreading documentation all over the wiki (where it doesn't
get keept current), it would be better to add your
hardware/model/type/$whatever specific stuff to a page behind
wiki.debian.org/wiki/DebianLive.

>> unsure though if we can/should
>> add this or other oot modules into the prebuilt live systems.
>
> I am not sure either. Though a large subset of modern computers now
> ship with embedded web cameras.

the problem also is, that it would take even more space. though we can
come up with a list of additional packages that would improve hardware
support when building dvd images.

independently of that: note that oot modules can only be included in
official images if they are precompiled as a binary package (in case you
don't know about conglomeration packages, see
http://blog.daniel-baumann.ch/2006/12/10#20061210_kernel-modules-packaging
for the background of why we're doing it that way in debian).

>>> Maybe an opportunity
>>> for documentation and testing? :)
>> a chapter about how to build and include oot-modules into config/* for
>> live-helper is missing, so would be a good addition to have that.
>
> I will try to get that started.

nice. don't hesitate to ask questions in case you have some.

> Cool. I am in CEST so if you are in Germany / Deutchland we may be in
> the same time zone making IRC a little easier. :)

switzerland here, but it's the same timezone :)

Regards,
Daniel