Autotesting

Dear Colleagues,

I was reviewing my email and found this message that I would like to
comment.
I have used an alternative approach to test PAIPIX, a debian-live based DVD.
I have used vncrobot http://www.vncrobot.com/ that is open to be used
but not open source.
The testing of our images is available on (for example):
http://mirror.sim.ul.pt/paipix/paipix-en-amd64-8.5.25-tests/
(see http://mirror.sim.ul.pt/paipix/ for other images)
There are links to the vncrobot scripts in all the images.
I use kvm on a DELL 2900 machine and I can test 4 images in parallel:
Something like:
/usr/bin/kvm -m 512 -cdrom ${ISO} -hda ${IMG} -boot %DRIVE% -vnc :%PORT%
-k pt

Vncrobot is a great system to perform this work and you can see from the
PAIPIX examples that it opens a broad range of possibilities for QA.
It is not perfect but gives a hint of what would be a better system.
The main problems are:
1) To streer the system under kvm one has to allocate time intervals to
the keyboard events and wait that the proper actions have been executed.
In some cases one can use the facility of vncrobot that waits until the
screen matches with a given image but this is cumbersome to do for all
events. The time intervals might change upon machine load, etc.
2) The mouse events under the kvm vnc server do not work properly. One
has to use keyboard shortcuts for all applications to be tested. The
mouse scale is wrong. Furthermore, while the iso is booting, the
graphical resolution changes and the vncrobot client has to be stopped
and restarted automatically for these occasions.
3) Letters in other languages and extended keys are not well supported
and have to be sent to the vnc server using special tricks.

I can send the full list of scripts and tools that I am using if any of
you is interested.

Also, since I am using debian-live, I would be glad to setup one of our
dell servers to test systematically the official debian-live images. The
machines have 8 cores, 8 GB of memory and are running Debian etch. The
KVM emulator works beutifully both for i386 and amd64 iso images.

All the best,
Ant?nio Amorim