The Debian Live manual

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 09:57:25AM +0100, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com> wrote:
> > One problem I have with my exiting ikiwiki/markdown knowledge bases is
> > that markdown doesn't have a really solid, good-looking (via LaTeX)
> > PDF output mechanism, meaning that you can't produce printed
> > documentation.
>
> You can produce great printed documentation from markdown & HTML with
> something like http://princexml.com/

That's non-Free software, and IMO is a LOT worse than LaTeX.  FWIW I
strongly prefer html2ps (over prince) for Latin 1 HTML -- html2ps
doesn't support anything but Latin 1 and Japanese encodings.  Then
again, I don't recall getting Hangul working with Prince either...

> > Wikis are also non-linear, which also causes problems when you try to
> > produce printed documentation (which is inherently linear).
>
> Well, I think most people understand and like hyperlinks, even in
> print mediums like PDF.

I respectfully disagree with "like".  If I buy a manual, I expect to
be able to read it from start to finish, not to have to jump from page
2 to page 17 to page 83 to page 4.  Maybe that's just me.

I've wandered off topic, so I'll say no more in this thread.