running livecd from a hd without installing it

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 06:50:57PM +0200, Ricardo Gabriel Herdt wrote:
>          Thanks a lot for the answers.
>
>    Jordi, the link you pointed out was quite helpful, thanks, but I
> would like to do something less intrusive in the host system. Let's
> say I'll spend a weekend in my mother-in-law's house and need to use
> a program like rosegarden or lilypond to compose something for the
> college. She has a laptop lying around, I just want to insert my
> liveCD, copy it's content too c: and boot, with the boot-loader from
> the CD, using the hard-disk content. After that I would just need to
> delete the CD content from the c: partition.
>
>    Tzafrir, I was thinking about what you suggested. I think that's
> the correct approach, but I haven't figured out yet how should I do
> that. A possibility would be to make a boot-floppy that would run the
> vmlinuz kernel copied in the c:\live directory. But I was wondering if
> there is a way to do that with the LiveCD, something like a
> preconfigured menu that would show up in boot-time and let me choose
> beetween booting from cd or using the vmlinuz in 'c:\live' (I would
> than always copy the 'live' directory to the same location). I think
> I know how to do that in grub (not sure if it reads something inside a
> ntfs partition), but what about the live-cd boot-loader? It's isolinux,
> wright? I don't know it very well, does it make that possible?

This should be possible if the boot loader on the CD is grub, and you're
prepared to edit the boot command-line at boot time. Or prepare that
entry in advance by editing the templates, I guess.

I'm not exactly sure how to do that with syslinux/isolinux .

Or use a USB key. Most computers today can boot from one, though it may
be less trivial to set one up. The upside is that it is now trivial to
edit the configuration of the boot loader to point to whereever you
want.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com