Compiling kernels without dpkg

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:15:56AM +0200, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Giorgio Pioda wrote:
> > since make-kpkg is broken... Is it possible to compile kernel with traditional
> > "make", compile the relatives drivers needed and the build an image with
> > lh_binary?
>
> iirc that's somewhere explained in the wiki.

In debian-live wiki? I'll check it

> > I guess that there are some conflicts especially with squashfs (for unionfs I could
> > solve the problem compiling it statically in the kernel)
>
> hm? if you build your own tree, you probably also want to include
> squashfs in-tree.
>
> > (P.S. I really need to test and patch starting from 2.6.25-rc8-mm2)
>
> out of curiosity.. why?

I'm triing to port debian to a device called Pepperpad 3, I need some drivers
contained only in mm tree for the touchscreen; I use debian-live to test drivers
(since now with other less problematic drivers I had good success).

Anyway I've found the patch to revert and have again symlink for i386, so
make-kpkg will work again... (at least one problem is solve this morning)

Gr?sse aus Lugano

Giorgio Pioda