Netboot image with NIS package hangs on squashfs extraction

I'm having an issue with netbooting Debian live. It appears that when I
add the NIS package to the image in a lh_config --packages command, it
then hangs when unpacking the squashfs on boot (I am using the squashfs
fix, 686 flavour). I've tried setting some of the files in the image
appropriately, though without much luck. Has anyone successfully added
NIS to an image before? The part of my build script that should set it
up is shown below (with a few sensitive details removed).

lh_config --packages 'nis' #also a bunch of other stuff on this line
that has been removed

#setup NIS
cat <<EOF > config/chroot_local-hooks/04-nis_setup.sh
#!/bin/sh
cat <<YP > etc/yp.conf
server ###.###.###.### [real IP address removed]
server ###.###.###.### [real IP address removed]
broadcast
YP
cat <<DOMAIN > etc/defaultdomain
[real name removed]
DOMAIN
cat <<NSSWITCH > etc/nsswitch.conf
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         nis compat
group:          nis compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis
NSSWITCH
EOF
chmod +x config/chroot_local-hooks/04-nis_setup.sh