predefine interfaces by MAC with udev?

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

> create a file in the chroot, with that lines,
>
> /etc/udev/rules.d/010_netinterfaces.rules
>
> and rebuild the initrd
Yes, but that means I need a seperate initrd for each diskless server, right?

> Well what about trying to use the boot param ip from tftp, then for
> each server just specify as you want.

The problem I'm having is that udev names the interfaces from
/etc/udev/rules.d/z45_persistent-net-generator.rules
And there seems to be know way to guarantee that the interface you pxe
boot from will be named eth0 by the persistent-net-generator.rules
So the boot fails. (is that right or am I way off course?)

I need to find a way to create an new rule in
z45_persistent-net-generator.rules or maybe EOF a rule into
/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
(I think).

I've stopped the boot with break=top and I can see
/etc/udev/rules.d/z45_persistent-net-generator.rules
but no
/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

I feel like an aprentice butcher.

Chris.