ctrl-alt-f2 does not get prompt

I've read the man pages and the wiki, but I can't get a working image. I
try
lh_config -b usb-hdd -p gnome-core user-setup -m
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ -d unstable
but it doesn't work.  If I go into chroot/home I see an empty directory.

chroot/etc/passwd does not have a user called 'live' or 'casper'

starting via qemu eventually gets to this error:
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

I realise this is a developers' mailing list, but if someone had time to
give me a lh_config example that worked, it would be good.

user-setup says it is frozen at version 1.17 in testing, by the way.

Tim Richardson tim at tim-richardson.net
+31 610 899 815
The Netherlands